Has Adairs Limited delivered growth by strong execution of its digital strategy?Team Veye | 24 Feb 2020 ASX - ADH
Adairs Limited (ASX: ADH)
Record sales and profitability accompanied by major strategic initiatives
Adairs Limited (ASX: ADH) on 21 February 2020 announced its results for the 26 weeks to 29 December 2019 (1H FY20). During this period the Company delivered record levels of sales and profitability, together with a number of key strategic initiatives including the acquisition of Mocka, a profitable pure-play online retailer in a logical adjacency, and the finalisation of our domestic supply chain strategy.
(Graphic Source – Company Reports)
1H FY20 (vs 1H FY19) snapshot
- Sales up 8.6% to $178.9 million
– Like for like sales growth +6.9% (online +31.6%, LFL stores +2.4%)
– Online now contributes 18% of total sales (pre-Mocka) and is expected to rise to 29% including Mocka in FY20
- Total stores at 169 with 5 new stores, 1 refurbishment and 1 upsize – Group gross lettable area (GLA) increased by 5.5% in 1H FY20
- Gross Profit up 9.0% to $109.3 million; underlying gross margin up 20bps
- Underlying EBIT up 4.2% to $23.2 million
- NPAT up 4.2% to $15.7 million
- Net debt increased to $49.6m following the acquisition of Mocka – Strong free cashflow from Adairs allowed pre-Mocka debt to be reduced by $15m – Post Mocka we remain comfortably within our existing debt covenants. Our Net Bank Debt / EBITDA ratio will remain at ~1x over the next 3 years.
- Interim FY20 dividend of 7.0 cents per share fully franked, to be paid on 16 April 2020 (6.5 cents per share in 1H FY19)
(Chart source: TradingView)
Gross Margin improved by 20bps to 61.1%. A coordinated program of sourcing and pricing initiatives combined with a focus on reduced depth of markdowns was able to more than offset the impact of a weaker Australian dollar. Managing our Gross Margin % will continue to be a key focus in 2H FY20 and beyond. (Data Source – Company Reports)
The first half of FY20 was significant for Adairs with record levels of sales and profitability, the acquisition of Mocka and the finalisation of their domestic supply chain strategy. Adairs continued to deliver above-market sales growth with a group like for like sales up 6.9% and online sales up 31.6% (excluding Mocka). Its balance sheet remains strong with interim dividend increased to 7.0 cents per share. The chart is in the process of forming an inverse head and shoulder pattern. Sitting on the strong support of $2.52 it can have the potential of reaching $2.80. Veye had given a buy at $1.66 on11 April 2019 and again at $1.69 on 27 August 2019. It has already returned more than 53% in just 6 months on the latest buy till now. Veye gives a “Hold” recommendation on “Adairs Limited” at the current price of $2.59
Veye Pty Ltd (ABN 58 623 120 865) authorised representative (AR No. 001261006) of Vested Equities Pty Ltd which holds an Australian Financial Services License (AFSL No. 478987). Veye is authorised to share only generic financial views through its website, reports and newsletters without taking into consideration your personal financial needs or investment objectives. Although Veye takes the utmost care to ensure the accuracy of the content and that the information is gathered and processed from reliable resources, it is recommended you seek professional advice from your financial advisor or stockbroker before acting on any of our recommendations. Veye Pty Ltd advises it’s users to pursue investing as a long-term goal. Stocks are subject to real time changes therefore all the information we share represents our views at the date of publishing and we request our readers not to interpret our reports as direct recommendations. Past performance is no indication of potential future performance. The securities and financial products we study and share information on in Veye Reports may have a product disclosure statement or other offer document associated with them. You should obtain a copy of these documents before making any decision about acquiring the security or product. You can refer to our Terms & Conditions and Financial Services Guide for more information. Veye Pty Ltd confirms that the employees and/or associates of Veye Pty Ltd do not hold positions in any of the financial products covered on the website on the date of publishing this report (as mentioned on the website www.veye.com.au).